Tuesday 16 October 2012

Today's Experiment - Breakfast Bars

Well this afternoon I decided to make breakfast bars. In the original recipe they looked a bit like a muesli bar, not really something I'd eat for breakfast, but I've been trying to find healthier snacks, so I thought I'd give them a try.

I read through the recipe and came to the realisation that the only two ingredients on the list that I actually had were honey and peanut butter (homemade yesterday!). I didn't let that stop me though and the results were pretty darn good if I do say so myself (unfortunately I left them in the oven too long so one side is a little bit overdone - okay burnt-ish).


So for those of you interested, here's the recipe:

Breakfast Bars a la Fumble Fingers

1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup rice bran flakes
1/4 cup quinoa flakes
1/4 cup rice flakes
1/2 cup combination of dried apricots, goji berries and raisins
1/4 cup LSA (linseed, sesame seed and almond) ground
1/4 cup coarsely chopped raw almonds
2 Tbsp coarsely chopped peanuts
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Pre-heat oven to 170 C. Line a square cake tin with baking paper. In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients.

In a small saucepan, combine honey, peanut butter, oil and vanilla and heat over medium heat until melted together. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well. Tip mixture into cake tin and push down so mix covers the entire bottom of the tin and is smooth on the top. Bake until golden brown and slightly coming away from the sides of the tin (approximately 20-25 mins).

Allow to cool completely in the tin and then remove from the tin, using the baking paper to help with lifting out. Cut into pieces using a serrated knife.

Bars will store in an air tight container for up to a week

The original recipe was found here - http://www.wholeliving.com/132043/breakfast-bars?czone=eat-well/healthy-breakfasts/muffins-granola&center=155850&gallery=155722&slide=132969

No comments:

Post a Comment